Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Usual Ups and Downs of Butterfly Farming


Well, as usual, today has been a day of ups and downs.  First, the good news.  We have about 50 caterpillars in our second wave.  Two caterpillars successfully pupated today!

Now for the bad news.  One caterpillar did not successfully pupate.  We suspect the parasitic fly has struck again.  Additionally, one of our plants outside the pavillion had Aphids on it.  I tried to kill them as best as I could.  I then took the plant that had Aphids on it and quarantined it in one of my small pavillions.  Well, our new dog ripped into that pavillion when I wasn't looking.  It is ruined.  And, if that isn't bad enough, yesterday, I bumped my hip where it was recently operated on, and it is really bothering me.

So, it hasn't been exactly a stellar day, but we try to keeps our chins up.  There is much work to do to get these 50 caterpillars up to adulthood.

Happy Monarching!


Caleb & Janae

No comments:

Post a Comment