Friday, April 10, 2015

Blue Vine Milkweed To The Rescue

Well, we have had about 10 caterpillars to die because of the predatory flies.  There may be a few more that will before we are through.  It is good that we brought them in when we did.

The caterpillars are going through my milkweed leaves like crazy.  Even my flowers are barely satisfying them.  Then, today, I happened to think about my Blue Vine milkweed which is growing wild in my yard.  It is a wild native species to Texas.  I have to constantly keep it trimmed back.  It will grow right between the wood siding planks on the side of my house if I let it.  I don't have a lot of it right now, but I decided to harvest what I have for the hungry caterpillars.  Below is a picture of them grazing on the blue vine milkweed.

By now, we must have close to 50 caterpillars in there!  Hopefully, I will have enough leaves and flowers to hold out.  I will let you know how it turns out.

(Extra hungry Monarch caterpillars eating Blue Vine milkweed)



Happy Monarching!


Caleb & Janae Warren
savethemonarch1@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. How, where can I get some? I live in North Miami and would love it for the monarchs!!

    ReplyDelete